BASCA at Nordic Music Days Festival: Gender Equality and Diversity in Music
Date(s) - 28/09/2017
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
Nordic Music Days is a four day festival held at London’s Southbank Centre showcasing pioneering contemporary music performances by Nordic composers, performed by leading ensembles and soloists from Great Britain and the Nordic region. In addition to the performance programme, an extensive workshop and seminar programme will be running alongside it over the course of the festival.
Hosted in conjunction with the Swedish Society of Composers (FST), BASCA is delighted to be presenting the public seminar ‘Gender Equality and Diversity in Music’ as part of three seminars running during the day discussing different aspects of contemporary music.
The panel will be moderated by composer, musician and Artistic Director of Nordic Music Days 2017 Martin Q Larsson, who will be joined by a host of esteemed composers and academics.
- Dr Christina Scharff is a Senior Lecturer in Culture, Media and Creative Industries at Kings College London, exploring gender, media and culture from an international perspective
- Nicola LeFanu has composed over a hundred works which have been widely played, broadcast and recorded. She has been commissioned by the BBC, by festivals in UK and beyond, and by leading orchestras, ensembles and soloists
- Aaron Cassidy is a composer, conductor, Professor of Composition and serves as Research Coordinator for Music and Music Technology at Huddersfield University. He is also on the Directorate of the Centre for Research in New Music (CeReNeM)
- Paula Wolfe is an academic, songwriter and author of ‘Women in The Studio: Creativity, Control and Gender in Popular Music Sound Production’
- Isabel Thomson works at the Swedish based performing arts organisation Musikverket, promoting a wide-ranging musical offering and funding collaborative music projects
- Karin Rehnqvist is an internationally renowned composer, Professor of Composition at the Royal College of Music in Stockholm (KMH) and founder of Female Association of Swedish Composers (KVAST)